A "Connection timed out" error occurs when the remote system does not respond to the client's attempt to open a TCP/IP connection. The most common causes include:
- A firewall is blocking the connection attempt on the port that you are using:
- The firewall could be on the client-side, blocking outbound connections, on the server-side, blocking inbound connections, or somewhere else on the path.
- The root problem could be that you are using the wrong port number.
- The host you are attempting to connect to could be offline.
- Some part of the network between the client and server could be down or disrupted.
- There could be a network routing problem.
Diagnosing the root cause of connection timeouts is difficult.