New versions of Ubuntu are released by Canonical every 6 months. Every two years, the release is a Long Term Support version.
- Normal release - supported for 9 months
- Long Term Support (LTS) release
• LTS releases for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Core, and Ubuntu Kylin are supported for 5 years.
• LTS releases for Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Lubuntu are supported for 3 years.
What support means
- Updates for potential security problems and bugs (not new versions of software)
- Availability of commercial support contracts from Canonical
- Support by Landscape, Canonical's enterprise oriented server management tool set.