- Download the files from our.umbraco.org/download and unzip them in a folder.
- Set up web server hosting the folder you chose. Although IIS is a requirement for production sites, it runs fine for development in IIS Express.
- Set up file permissions for the folder. For development server it is okey to have full read/write/modify permissions for the process serving the web page (AppPool or Network service)
- If you want to set up Umbraco on Sql Server or Mysql, download and install it. Make a new database for Umbraco, and remember Connectionstring details, inccluding database name, user and password
- Open your site at localhost, and follow the wizard to set up your site with the database.