If you want to add an Admin panel to your rails application, it's just matter of minutes.
- Open gem file and writer gem 'rails_admin', '~> 1.0'
- bundle install
- rails g rails_admin:install
- it will ask you about the admin route if you want to go with the default press Enter.
- Now go app/config/initializers/rails_admin.rb and paste this code: config.authorize_with do
redirect_to main_app.root_path unless current_user.try(:admin?)
This code will allow only admin user to access the yoursite.com/admin other users will be redirected to the rootpath.
- For more details checkout the documentation of this gem. https://github.com/sferik/rails_admin/wiki
Use it if you want to have Admin to your website otherwise there is no need for this. It is more easy and powerful than active_admin gem. You can add this at any stage after creating users and don't forget to make any user admin before the 4th step. Use cancan for granting roles.