Microsoft Integration Services is a platform for building enterprise-level data integration and data transformation solutions. SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is an ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) tool.
- The SSIS is a business intelligence tool that provides data transformation solutions for various organizations.
- Integration Services can extract and transform data from various sources such as XML data files, flat files, and relational data sources and then load the data into one or more destinations.
- Integration Services includes a rich set of built-in tasks and transformations, tools for constructing packages, and the Integration Services service for running and managing packages.
What is SSIS?
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is a component of the Microsoft SQL Server database software that can be used to perform a broad range of data integration and data transformation tasks.
SSIS is a tool mainly used to perform two functionalities.
- Data Integration: It combines the data residing in different sources and provides users with a unified view of these data
- Workflow: It can also be used to automate maintenance of SQL Server databases and updates to multidimensional analytical data
You use Integration Services to solve complex business problems by copying or downloading files, sending e-mail messages in response to events, updating data warehouses, cleaning and mining data, and managing SQL Server objects and data.
- You can use the graphical Integration Services tools to create solutions without writing a single line of code.
- You can program the extensive Integration Services object model to create packages programmatically and code custom tasks and other package objects.
- Data can be loaded in parallel to many varied destinations
- SSIS removes the need for hardcore programmers
- Tight integration with other products of Microsoft
- SSIS is cheaper than most other ETL Tools
- SIS provides GUI to transform data easily
- Build BI into a Data Transformation Process
- Robust error and event handling
Features of SSIS
SSIS provides some very useful features, which are as follows.
- Organized and lookup transformations
- Tight integration with other Microsoft SQL family
- Provides rich Studio Environments
- Provides a lot of data integration functions for better transformations
- High-speed data connectivity